marzo 09, 2005

AMERICAN IDIOMS



In each sentence of the following dialog choose the idiom meaning the definition in brackets:


Judy: Today I'm under the ground / under the weather / under the sea (-a- not feeling well).

Ann: Play hooky / Play marbles / Play darts (-b- stay away from school or work without permission). I won't spill the salt / spread the butter / spill the beans (-c- tell the secret).

Judy: I can't. I'm drowned / dead / swamped (-d- over whelmed; covered completely) with work. My job is no party / no picnic / no heaven (-e- not something pleasant).

Ann: Well, Hang in there / Hang up now / Hand in this (-f- be patient, wait). In the long run / In the long time / On the last day (-g- in the end, as a result), you'll be standing high / sitting pretty / lying great (-h- in a favorable situation).

Judy: I hope so. I have to bring home the bread / bring home the beans / bring home the bacon (-i- earn the family's income).

2 Comments:

At 2:54 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

you shoul add answers so that we can check what we've done.
Thanks!
J.P

 
At 1:43 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

OK, J.P. We'll do that soon!
Caren

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home